What is the reason that the laptop plugged in not charging? Is it possible to fix this without calling a repairman? This article discusses the 5 most common charging problems that users encounter, as well as ways to fix them on their own.
Laptop battery is connected but not charging
The age of the device and its manufacturer do not play any role here. Notebooks from Samsung , Xiaomi, Prestigio or other companies are equally susceptible to this problem.
The defect is identified as follows – in the notification area next to the icon indicating the charge, a message is displayed with the text: “Connected, not charging.” Windows users (version 10) will read a slightly different message: “Charging not in progress.”
The first cause of the problem is software anomalies, which only a specialist can figure out. What can you do yourself? The universal method is to “reset” the BIOS.
This is done in 10 steps:
- Turn off the device completely.
- Take out the battery.
- Disconnect the gadget from the network.
- Hold the power key on (1 min).
- Connect the device to the mains (without battery).
- Press the power key and go to BIOS.
- Reset settings to factory defaults (menu EXIT – Load Defaults).
- Save changes and turn off the gadget.
- Disconnect the power supply cord from the laptop .
- Return the battery to its place, connect the charger.
At the end, it remains to turn on the device (user settings will be saved) and observe its operation. If everything is done correctly, then “Windows” will please the user with a message: “connected, charging.” In case of failure, it is worth studying the following sections of this material and applying other methods of eliminating breakdowns.
New laptop – battery does not want to charge
Assembly-only devices have a pre-installed licensing system. In this case, the battery of a brand new laptop does not charge for 2 reasons: a factory defect or incorrect initialization of the battery.
You can help the device like this:
- turn it off;
- disconnect the gadget from charging;
- remove the battery;
- hold the ON key on (20 sec);
- return the battery to its place;
- connect the charger.
The only thing left to do is to turn on the device and make sure it works correctly.
A couple more tips for those who have a removable battery . For example, an elementary method:
- completely disconnect charging;
- remove the battery from its compartment;
- press and hold the power key for 1 minute.
- Then you need to sequentially perform the steps: return the battery – turn on the charging to the network – wait 15 minutes and turn on the device. Everything.
New variation of the previous method:
- When the device is switched on, turn off the charging, do not touch the battery.
- Press and hold the power key until the device is turned off.
- Connect the power supply.
- Wait a quarter of an hour.
The procedure ends by turning on the device. Thus, the problem can be dealt with independently, without the involvement of a master. 3 more typical problems and their elimination are discussed below.
Overheating of the battery – causes, effects, solutions
The problem arises if the owner of the gadget did not monitor the cleanliness of the cooling system. As a result, the dust accumulates in a dense layer and the battery, along with the entire device, simply overheats. Also, this defect can occur if you use the device in stuffy / dusty rooms. In hot seasons – this is one of the first reasons on the list why the laptop battery won’t charge.
How can you tell if your battery is overheated? When the device is turned on, it charges quite normally for a certain period of time, and then the message “battery is not charging” appears. This is a sure signal of its overheating. What are the solutions? First of all, it is necessary to clean the device from dust accumulations. To do this, it is worth contacting a laptop technician.
In addition, special stands for the laptop will save from overheating the battery. They help to cool the device as a whole, and therefore, extend the life of the gadget.
An important tip in the end: The laptop should not be placed on soft surfaces (such as beds or sofas) so as not to block the ventilation holes.
Good to know: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Review
Laptop plugged in not charging to 100%
Most of the manufacturers of laptops develop and install specialized software on devices to monitor and control the consumption / condition of the battery. More often than not, these “optimizers” are the culprit for incomplete charging.
In such utilities, there are 2 modes of battery operation, the first of which saves energy and does not allow you to fully charge. Switching to the second mode will restore 100% charge. A radical solution is to disable or completely eliminate the utility.
If the last procedure did not help, then the matter may be in the natural wear and tear of chemical elements, failure of controllers, oxidation of contacts. In this case, you cannot cope with the problem on your own.
Laptop plugged in not charging? The software is to blame!
The creators of the devices often stuff devices with various utilities. Their purpose is to increase the performance and lifespan of devices. The flip side of the coin is that the battery charge does not reach 100% because of this. The same goes for the official software where the error has crept in. You can fight this by finding and eliminating unnecessary software.
Finding harmful utilities is as easy as shelling pears:
- click “Start” – “Control Panel”;
- go to “Programs and Features”;
- choose unnecessary software (hint: it’s easy to recognize a software pest – its name contains the brand of the laptop);
- select it with the mouse button and press “Delete”.
- Securing success is worth rebooting the gadget.
Ultimately, all of the above methods are effective in 90% of cases of trouble when the Laptop is plugged in and not charging. Even beginners can use these instructions to help the gadget get back to work. If, despite all the efforts, the charging did not work out, then the problem lies in the equipment itself: wear of the charger, lack of power, problems with the connectors on the laptop, and more. In this case, only a wizard can find out why a Lenovo , ASUS , HP or other brand laptop is not charging.
Interesting to read: Netgear Nighthawk EX7000 Setup