Google offers to change your google voice number for a very low cost of $ 10. At this price, you can choose a new area code and search for a number based entirely on both the number and the letter. This is incredibly useful for someone who recently switched to a new area code and would like to keep their local number.
Google is also offering Google Voice users the option to keep their old number in case they have recently changed carriers. This is handy for those looking to get a new alternate number specifically for work calls, keeping the same phone number that your friends and family have already saved for you. Just transfer your old number to Google Voice and don’t pay for the second plan. All calls sent to your old number will be forwarded to the new one so you never miss a call.
Change your Google Voice number
Regardless of the reason you are here, the process for both is very simple and takes effect immediately. We’ll start with the steps to replace your old Google Voice number with a new one. You will be glad to know that for three months your old number will continue to forward all incoming calls and text messages to your new number in order to help with the switch from old to new. This will help a little lazy person to change their old number on their phones to a new one, which will take a lot of time.
Remember, it will cost you $ 10 to replace your current Google Voice number with a new one. Once the change has taken place, you will not be able to cancel the process or get your money back. Make sure you want to change it and that the number you are changing it to is the one you want.
Change your current Google Voice number to something new:
- On your computer go to voice.google.com ,
- Sign in to your Google account associated with the Google Voice number you want to change.
- Located in the upper left corner of the screen, click the Menu icon (three vertically stacked lines).
- Select Legacy Google Voice from the menu list.
- Google Voice will look different, but you are in the right place.
- On this new screen, in the upper right corner, click on the Cog Wheel and then select Settings from the menu.
- Go to the “Phones” tab.
- Click Change / Port to the side of the current number.
- After clicking the “Change / Port” button, you will see detailed information about the number change, the amount of the fee and information that your old Google Voice number will remain active for up to three months.
- Select I want a new number.
- Set up a new number following the instructions given to you to set up a new number and also pay $ 10.
- You will need to provide your area code or postal code. To do this, enter a word, a few letters or numbers. This will be what creates the number for you.
- You will receive a list of available numbers based on the criteria you entered. Press the radial button for the desired phone number and then press Continue.
- Complete this part of the process and go to the transaction screen by clicking Go to Payment.
- After completing the payment, you will receive several different emails. Some with updates and others will provide further instructions to complete the process.
After completing the entire process, the changes should be immediate and you can immediately use your new number. If you look at the numbers that Google Voice has, the old number will still be visible. It will remain after the number change for a full 90 days until it disappears from the list. Your new number will also be visible. After 90 days, Google will send emails with contacts who used your old number.
Also interested: How to turn on Ok Google
Save your current phone number (port number for Google Voice)
Planning to change your mobile plan and find a better deal with a competitor? This happens more often than you think. Your monthly bill will be slightly cheaper than last month and your service will be just as good. But what about a phone number? You have used the same number for the past three years. This is what all your friends and family have saved on their phone. Are you holding back?
My question to you is: “Why?”
If you want to get a new number, but still keep the old one, Google Voice can be the answer to your prayers. It offers people the ability to migrate their existing number to their services for a one-time $ 20 fee. Thus, you will not only get a new number with a new service, but you will also be able to keep your existing number and forward all calls from this number to the new one. How cool is that?
You need to know that when transferring a number to Google Voice, you cannot use the Google Voice app to send text messages – it requires a data connection over Wi-Fi or LTE / 3G. However, you can forward Google Voice text messages to the new number. When you reply to incoming texts using your regular messaging app, messages will come from your new Google Voice number.
This is just how phone calls would work. With call forwarding turned on, you can make and receive calls from your Google Voice number, even without a data connection. This goes without saying, but you need two phone numbers to transfer a number to Google Voice. This is your existing number to which calls and text messages are received, and the new number to which they will be forwarded.
Your existing number will be ported and must remain active at the time the process starts. Therefore, DO NOT cancel your account before doing so. The new number can be a number given to you by your current operator or a new operator. Your second number might even be one from Google Voice. If you change carriers, once you create a new account with them and transfer your number to Google Voice, Google will cancel your previous carrier account on your behalf. If the new number remains with the same operator, after adding the number to Google Voice, Google will cancel your old number.
It is very important that you do not try to make such a change while in the middle of a contract. Porting your number may result in an early termination (ETF) if canceled early. To be sure, contact your current carrier’s support team and let them know your plans before canceling. They will be able to make an entry in your account so they don’t charge you an ETF when you finally cancel your subscription.
Calls and text messages to both numbers will reach you if call forwarding is enabled. However, outgoing calls and text messages will only be sent from your primary Google Voice. Google Voice allows you to change the number you want to use as your primary number at any time.
Read also: How to change YouTube channel name
Transfer a number to your Google Voice account:
- Open Google Voice in your browser and sign in.
- You must be within 90 days of the cancellation process to transfer the number. Any later and the number will be unavailable.
- Click on “Menu” in the upper left corner and select “Legacy Google Voice” from the list.
- You will find the settings in the upper right corner, so click.
- Click on “Settings” again in the menu that appears.
- Click on the “Phones” tab.
- Find your old (existing) phone number and click “Make permanent” next to it.
- You will go through a process in which you will have to confirm your decision and make a payment of $ 20.
- Once the transaction is complete, the expiration date next to your original Google Voice number will disappear. It is now yours until you undo / delete it yourself.